Applying to become a foster parent
The process starts when you apply to become a foster parent and finishes with a decision from the fostering service. The process can take up to 8 months to complete.
Steps 2 to 6 might happen in a different order.
2) The council or agency asks you to go to a preparation course on fostering.
3) You and every adult that lives with you will need to pass an enhanced with barred lists Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
4) A social worker assesses you and your family to check that you’re able to care for a child.
5) You state any preferences about the children you’ll care for, like age or gender. You cannot choose a child out of a group of children and you do not get a trial period with a foster child.
6) The fostering service reviews your application. You’ll need to meet with their panel who will make a recommendation.
7) The fostering service makes a decision on your application.
This article was previous published on the gov.uk website.
Apex Fostering is here to help and guide you through your Fostering journey.